I am planning on being homeschooled next school year as a sophomore in NY, but my father is still not fully convinced that it’s the best option for me.
What are some questions he might have about homeschool? What are some info I can tell him to convince him?
Written 24 May 2017
You probably don’t want to show this video to your father, but it actually summarizes a ton of research in a short time. (I have spent hundreds of hours researching this topic, and I believe Dave Brown captures them well).
So, if your father is a relatively normal parent, he is likely to ask the following questions:
- How will homeschooling impact your chances of getting into the college you desire
- Answer: Lots of homeschoolers get into the college of their choice. In fact, many colleges actively recruit homeschoolers. Check out the college websites you are interested in, to see their requirements for homeschool students. In many cases, a high school diploma is not required – the SAT scores are, however, very important.
- How will you study?
- Aha. Tons of answers on this one, but the short answer is – whatever best suits you.
- Okay, your dad probably won’t like that answer, so here’s an alternate. Studies show that tutoring and mastery learning (see Benjamin Bloom) are the best ways to learn. So, if you don’t have a tutor, the best way to learn is to study the topic (read, watch, do), and then test yourself to make sure you get it. Rinse and repeat until you are comfortable you properly understand the topic.
- Okay … another answer. You can use resources such as Khan Academy (which has mastery learning “baked in” to its math approach), or Coursera. Or, you can register for, and participate in, community college courses.
- What will you study?
- One answer is … whatever interests me.
- Another answer … I will study the topics which are required for college entry, and to help me pursue the field of my choice.
- How will I be sure that you are spending your time productively?
- One answer … you won’t. (And since it is my life at stake, it is my responsibility to do well).
- Another answer … you will be able to monitor my progress on Khan Academy (parent login); review my Coursera and/or community college grades.
- How will you take care of exercise, and socialization?
- You can participate in sports (even on many school teams or extracurricular activities – check with your local school district). Also, there are many homeschool groups which regularly host activities.
- What did I forget to ask?
- Don’t worry. There are lots of resources, such as local homeschool groups, and lots of website homeschool discussions.
And you definitely don’t want to show your dad this one.